Kontrol S4 Super Effects Mapping - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Guru

there's no way I could do that in the near days. For the last 2 weeks, I'm on an unreliable GPRS connection with about 5-10kb/s at most. It'll be like this for some more time to come.

Either way, what's done is so easy to import & test ... the separate TSIs (left&right) can just be imported, following the instructions and you're all set.

Tech Convert

cant wait to try it out. NEED that army of me whoosh. would definetly help my mixing out.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post
    1. Super FX mode on both Deck A & B at the same time does not work properly. Could be fixed at the cost of mirroring FX units 3 & 4. (no advanced delay in unit 4 - BigBeatzz, what do you think?).
    2. Decks C & D are not implemented yet. Sort of related to #1 above.
    Feedback is more than welcome!
    The only reason I see against removing the echo freeze is that when you are doing cool effects, you can just hit the freeze button which creates some amazing sounds. If we move it to the advanced area we will not be able to use that function.

Feel free to make changes Loop, from what I've seen I think you'll only make this better.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bigbeatzz View Post
    The only reason I see against removing the echo freeze is that when you are doing cool effects, you can just hit the freeze button which creates some amazing sounds. If we move it to the advanced area we will not be able to use that function.

Feel free to make changes Loop, from what I've seen I think you'll only make this better.
    Reading the reason, I don't want to sacrifice this coolness

I would suggest to make it as on demand preparation & activation of the Delay freeze mode on the oposite side and deactivate it on off command. The mapping can easily recover the environment when a new combo is activated on the oposite side.
    The only implication would be that if an active FX combo performance is running on the oposite side, it will be ruined. It will just be a limitation of the mapping and that'd be fine IMO. There are no other critical issues I can foresee - everything else I'm working on can still be done.

Tell me - have you tried the improved version? all good with the TSIs?
    Last edited by loop; 06-30-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Tech Guru

Reading the reason, I don't want to sacrifice this coolness

I would suggest to make it as on demand preparation & activation of the Delay freeze mode on the oposite side and deactivate it on off command. The mapping can easily recover the environment when a new combo is activated on the oposite side.
    The only implication would be that if an active FX combo performance is running on the oposite side, it will be ruined. It will just be a limitation of the mapping and that'd be fine IMO. There are no other critical issues I can foresee - everything else I'm working on can still be done.

Tell me - have you tried the improved version? all good with the TSIs?
    I was working on it earlier. I've been trying to get the deck button (example: c/d) to turn off the m5 modifier but haven't had much success. Everything gets all out of sync once I try and do it. I also added my Loop recorder mapping into the mix to see what is possible.

Right now it's so complicated that I need to rest my brain! LOL

I am actually thinking that the X1 may be the best bet for this until NI opens up those knobs. It's like you are fighting the system and the system wins. Right now decks a/b work great but c/d are going to be an issue.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Tech Guru

good call about the deck layer buttons! That's something I haven't thought of yet and have to handle for sure! The minimum, being SuperEeffects OFF (as FXUnit.Mode). BTW, "C.FX On 2"/"D.FX On 1" buttons should also abort SE mode, similar to the deck layer switch, as it's interference too ...

The solution: It's not enough if you set M5=0. You have to at least detach the FX units from the active channel. In case of left, you need to detach units 1 & 4 and optionally 3. The hardware control goes to FX3, so you may leave on and as is (assigned or not, up to you) but you could better initialize it with favorite preset of 3 effects (or 1 advanced). In my approach, unassigning the units is the sufficient "reset", as the "assign" action takes care of the M* flushing and the rest of the SE setup. If you look at the mapping, when hitting "A.FX.On 2" i don't examine modifier conditions at all - basically, a dull flush of all relevant altered stuff. That's a safer way to assure a proper environment in place.

To be honest, my idea of C&D Super Effects does not cover deck layer switching. I'm mostly having C&D as sample decks (hidden in the UI) with no need of layer switching at all. I sometimes use 3rd track deck + 1 sample, so "+1" to take care of this. First thought is that the simplest approach for this case might be a new pair of left & right TSIs to use e.g. FX3 as master unit and FX1 as slave. Left aside, there's no way to examine the state of the layer in which the controller is, so I can't think of a way to distinguish ...

Yul, is there a way to know which layer is active on the controller ? I mean is it A or C on the left and B or D on the right?

and BTW, I'm looking for a useful modifier to become a condition for whether a deck is in Track/Sample/Live mode. The deck mode (0/1) seems pointless. Thoughts?
    Last edited by loop; 06-30-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Tech Guru

... more thoughts on C&D implementation w/ layer changing:

Yul, is there a way to know which layer is active on the controller ? I mean is it A or C on the left and B or D on the right?
    I know how we can do this

we can track the layer state with an additional modifier (e.g. M6). What I mean is - since boot of the the controller, we know that it's in A/B control. Each change of the layer of the respective deck can get reflected in M6=0/1 and we simply know which deck (& FX unit control) is active!

If we say that by default (e.g. A/left side), FX1 is master, FX3 is slave - that'd be M6=0

When we change the left layer, FX3 will become master and FX1 will be slave - M6=1

now comes a new challenge: M5=1 says that we have SuperEffects combo 1 (my vision is to have 6 combo presets slots in M5!). That's currently implemented as a second modifier condition, while the first is the M1-4 - which combo FX is on. For the layer tracking, we need to have a third ... but we only have two condition slots in the editor - a 2 dimensional matrix, where we need to fill-in a 3 dimensional one. The good is that we have one more spare modifier - M7 to help us out. M8 is for the shift buttons, so count it reserved.

That's a pure math thing and i should be able to recall my matrix transformation knowledge and come up with a solution soon. Will keep you posted!

EDIT: Re-read if you've already seen this before this note is inserted ...
    Last edited by loop; 06-30-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: further thoughts.

Tech Guru

you mofo's are getting deep with this!!!!

props
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Guru

haze - just did a major edit of the previous comment, re-read, please. It's worth!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

... more thoughts on C&D implementation w/ layer changing:

I know how we can do this

we can track the layer state with an additional modifier (e.g. M6). What I mean is - since boot of the the controller, we know that it's in A/B control. Each change of the layer of the respective deck can get reflected in M6=0/1 and we simply know which deck (& FX unit control) is active!

If we say that by default (e.g. A/left side), FX1 is master, FX3 is slave - that'd be M6=0

When we change the left layer, FX3 will become master and FX1 will be slave - M6=1

now comes a new challenge: M5=1 says that we have SuperEffects combo 1 (my vision is to have 6 combo presets slots in M5!). That's currently implemented as a second modifier condition, while the first is the M1-4 - which combo FX is on. For the layer tracking, we need to have a third ... but we only have two condition slots in the editor - a 2 dimensional matrix, where we need to fill-in a 3 dimensional one. The good is that we have one more spare modifier - M7 to help us out. M8 is for the shift buttons, so count it reserved.

That's a pure math thing and i should be able to recall my matrix transformation knowledge and come up with a solution soon. Will keep you posted!

EDIT: Re-read if you've already seen this before this note is inserted ...
    What?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast