Mapping ? for Looping and Searching
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Mapping ? for Looping and Searching

All right all you Tech Mentors, I need your help!

After searching and reading the FAQ I can't really find any answers I need. I've been waiting patiently for the Traktor Kontrol X1, and watching the videos I realized I can do everything the X1 does with my equipment I have right now.

The most confusing part of Traktor to me is midi mapping. I'm not sure which parameters need to be set for the results I want. So here's a list of what I'm trying to do:

1.) One encoder (endless knob) to set loop length, for longer or shorter loops, and one button to set the loop in or out.

2.) Two encoders for searching tracks, one to go up AND down on the right side, and one for the left side of the browser.

I've tried the searching encoders but had to use four knobs, two for up and down on the left, two for up and down on the right.

If any one knows what part of the midi mapping needs to be set, and the parameters to to get the results I want, you will get mucho brownie points for helping me out!

(Sorry for the long post)
    13.3" Macbook Aluminum
    Novation Nio Audio Interface
    Novation Remote SL Zero
    M-Audio X-Session Pro
    Traktor Duo

Tech Wizard

Ok, so I'm on the way to answering my own questions by just messing around.

But...I'm having trouble with loop length. I have the parameter loop size, assigned as an encoder. It goes to the right with no trouble, like going from 4 to 8 beats. But when I try going backwards like from 8 to 4 bars, it goes all the way back to 1/32 beats, no good!

Any ideas of where I'm going wrong?
    13.3" Macbook Aluminum
    Novation Remote SL Zero
    M-Audio X-Session Pro
    Traktor Duo

Tech Wizard

Soooo...no pointers then?
    13.3" Macbook Aluminum
    Novation Remote SL Zero
    M-Audio X-Session Pro
    Traktor Duo

Tech Mentor

that's really strange.
    the encoder might be sending a weird value? does it work correctly in other places?
    I don't have an endless rotary to test with at the moment but maybe try changing the type of controller thing.
    And did you get the browser working? Try looking for Browse List/Tree

Tech Wizard

so no it doesn't work correctly in other places. same thing with the browser, it will go down on the browser fine, but when i try to go up it goes all the way to the top.

it might have something to do with how novation programs their controllers and with conjunction with their automap software (which sucks).

thanks for the reply Remote
    13.3" Macbook Aluminum
    Novation Remote SL Zero
    M-Audio X-Session Pro
    Traktor Duo

Tech Mentor

Definitely sounds like a hardware/midi issue. You might need to have a dig through the automap software and work out what messages it's sending. Have you tried a midi translator or similar program to have a look at what values the knob is spitting out? Bomes or MidiOX might be of some use.

yeah its automap man, automap does the same to me
    i didnt really look into it, i just worked around it by not using the usb and instead used a midi cable going into my soundcards midi port

Tech Wizard

Yeah that's a great idea, i never thought of using straight midi instead of USB, i'll try that tonight. I only need one midi cable right? to go from the out on the controller to the in on the soundcard?

Also what about power? do you have to run it off of an outlet or battery?
    13.3" Macbook Aluminum
    Novation Remote SL Zero
    M-Audio X-Session Pro
    Traktor Duo

Tech Guru

Hey your problem is, is that you are not useing a encoder you are using a endless knob. And by making it act like a encoder every time u turn it you will get a plus one. but when u turn it the other way you get a zero this is because encoders communicate by transmiting the signal +1 and -1. This is rerly important when selecting a controller to get the right one for your needs. you rerly need one with a selection of encoders and knobs. PS if you have jog wheels they will almost cerainly be encoders and perfect for the task you want to do

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    Hey your problem is, is that you are not useing a encoder you are using a endless knob. And by making it act like a encoder every time u turn it you will get a plus one. but when u turn it the other way you get a zero this is because encoders communicate by transmiting the signal +1 and -1. This is rerly important when selecting a controller to get the right one for your needs. you rerly need one with a selection of encoders and knobs. PS if you have jog wheels they will almost cerainly be encoders and perfect for the task you want to do
    Interesting, I didn't realize there was a difference. I thought endless knobs were just stepless encoders (still stepped but without the distinct click).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast